Bunk beds utilize a single frame to accommodate two or more beds one on top of the other. The beds make use of limited space allowing two or more persons to sleep in the same room. These types of beds are popular in ships, dormitories in learning institutions, hostels, children’s rooms, summer camp cabins, army garrisons, prison’s cells, university residential halls and any other place with the need of utilizing available floor space to the maximum. The bunks are economically designed to make use of four supportive poles and a ladder to get to the upper bed. A safety rail is built around the upper bed to prevent the user from falling off while sleeping. Bunk beds are designed in different models using different materials to suit different lifestyles. The economically designed bunks are created using metal frames, softwood frames and solid plastic. The expensive models are designed from hardwood and accessorized with drawers and shelves.
Bunk beds for kids
What are the types of bunk beds?
1. Standard bunk bed; this is designed to accommodate same size mattresses on the two or three beds accommodated by the bunk.
2. Twin over full; the bunk beds are designed to hold a full size mattress on the lower bed and a twin size on the upper bed.
3. L-shape; the lower bed is inclined at a right angle to the top bed creating an alcove where a desk or a bookshelf can be placed.
4. Loft bed; the frame accommodates the upper bed only leaving an open space underneath which can be used as a work area or chests of drawers can be fitted for storage purposes.
5. Triple loft bed; this accommodates three beds whereby a loft bed can be attached to the main bunk perpendicularly to form an L-shape.
Benefits of bunk beds
– Economical; bunk beds are economical to purchase compared to single beds. There are different models, sizes and quality to suit all types of budget. You get multiple beds for a single price.
– Space economy; bunks utilize smaller floor space compared to single beds. This creates space for storage area for a wardrobe for clothes and play area for the children. As your family increases, there is need to move to a larger home where every child have their own bedroom. This is a great family investment where finances are not immediately available. Getting bunks of the children will solve the problem giving the family time to save for the extra space needed.
– Bonding; children of the same age and gender can share one bedroom which enhances their relationship as siblings. They learn to live together and look out for each other. This is beneficial in future and enhances fostering relationships with others in sharing limited resources.
– Profitable to institutions; bunk beds are ideal in learning institutions and places accommodating big number of people for a short time or long periods of time. A room can accommodate a number of bunks which translates to accommodating a big number.
– Convenience; using bunk beds is convenient in places such as hostels, summer camps, learning institutions and army barracks where people stay for a short time then move camp, complete studies or reach their destinations. They are convenient to the host and great in building relationships and lifelong friendship among the occupants.
bunk beds with desk
Bunk beds are ideal and convenient means of accommodating a large number of people and children in the family set up. There are many benefits that emanate from the use of these types of beds. Equipping the young children, the youth and young adults with the important virtue of learning how to share and live with one another in the society.